Monday, June 11, 2012

When a Friend Gives You a Flat of Berries...

I was pleasantly surprised to receive a call from a friend asking if I'd like a flat of strawberries.  The answer, "Of course!"  This brought back childhood memories of my grandmother bringing flats of berries home from Oxnard.  Those were some of the best days.  We'd wash and eat berries until we just couldn't eat any more.

The boys' faces lit up very much the same way I'm sure mine did when I was little when they saw the flat in the kitchen.  We washed some and ate them.  Then, there was a heap of berries sitting on my counter and we had to do something with them.  They were VERY ripe and weren't going to sit well for long.

I hadn't made freezer jam since I was a child and that was with my grandmother.  I do have one memory of doing that with her.  I remember also that it was SO good!  I thought maybe it was time I made some for my family.

Strawberry Freezer Jam
 I love to bake muffins and wanted to try strawberry muffins.  I hit the internet for inspiration and stumbled upon a WONDERFUL recipe on a blog called A Recipe A Day.  It was an easy recipe and I'll bet you have most, if not all of the items already in your kitchen.  Bake these Fresh Strawberry Muffins and you'll surely bring a smile to the faces of your friends and family!






No comments: