Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Chicken Chores


We've been home for a couple of days, but not until this morning have I had a chance to go out back and really spend time with the girls.  Even though it was very cold and wet, it was worth the hour or so to clean the coop, give the girls fresh bedding and water, and observe their little quirks that I've missed so much while our family was away on vacation.

I am thankful for really good neighbors and farmer friends to come by and visit and keep an eye on the girls (and kitty, too!)  While we were gone there was a LOT of rain and our back yard flooded.  The flooding wasn't news to us, but it was fortunate that the girls had keepers because they received an extra tarp for the coop (to shield them from sideways rain!) and a replacement bulb for their heat lamp.

If you haven't yet met the girls, Lucy is my Barred Rock hen, the black and white one snacking on popcorn; Penny is my Welsummer, the brown one ALWAYS at my feet; and Rita is my Araucauna and the most shy of the flock.

(Don't tell the other two, but if you were to ask me, I'd tell you that Lucy is my favorite.)





No comments: